10 September Saturday 10:30 departure
£2.00 – £60.00
Please read the additional booking information at the bottom of the page before you select your seats.
Seats are arranged in bays, please select a bay with an appropriate number of seats for your party. Children under 3 do not count towards party size but may have to sit on an adult’s knee. Dogs are welcome in all coaches, please select a dog ticket from the drop down menu.
Online booking is for return journeys from Alston to Slaggyford only. If you wish to purchase a one way or a station hopper ticket these may be purchased on the day of travel from the ticket office at Alston station.
Coach 16 is a coach with enclosed sides. Seats are arranged in bays. There is an accessible bay in this coach, please select it from the drop down menu.
Coach 17 is a coach which has a roof, half sides and is open to the elements.
Coach 18 is a coach with enclosed sides and seats are arranged in bays.
Keeping our passengers safe
We have made changes to the seating arrangements in our carriages to enable us to keep our passengers and our volunteers as safe as we can
- Please read our terms and conditions and choose your coach and your bay of seats carefully before making payment.
- We recommend that you wear face coverings throughout your visit unless eating or drinking.
- Please use the hand sanitising stations and observe any one way systems in place at the time of your visit.
- Journeys booked online are from Alston to Slaggyford and return. Tickets for single journeys, station hopper tickets or travel from Slaggyford can be purchased from the booking offices at Alston and Slaggyford.
- Please select a bay according to the number of passengers in your group. Children under the age of 3 travel free and do not count towards group size but will have to travel on an adult’s knee.
- Dogs are welcome, please select a dog ticket from the drop down menu.
Please note, pushchairs may have to be accommodated in the Guard’s van.
We have one wheelchair accessible space large enough to accommodate 2 wheelchairs and 2 ambulant passengers. This space can be selected from the drop down menu.
Coach 16 is a coach with enclosed sides. Seats are arranged in bays. There is an accessible bay in this coach.
Coach 17 is a coach which has a roof, half sides and is open to the fresh air
Coach 18 is a coach with enclosed sides and seats are arranged in bays
Coach 18 – Bay 1 (up to 1 person), Coach 18 Bay 1A (up to 2 people), Coach 18 – Bay 2 (up to 6 people), Coach 18 – Bay 3 (up to 4 people), Coach 18 – Bay 4 (up to 6 people), Coach 18 – Bay 5 (up to 4 people), Coach 18- Bay 6 (up to 2 people), Coach 17 – Bay 1 (up to 2 people), Coach 17 – Bay 1A (up to 3 people), Coach 17 – Bay 2 (up to 4 people), Coach 17 – Bay 2A (up to 2 people), Coach 17 – Bay 3 (up to 6 people), Coach 17 – Bay 4 (up to 6 people), Coach 17 – Bay 5 (up to 6 people), Coach 17- Bay 6 (up to 5 people), Coach 16 – Bay 1 (up to 3 people), Coach 16 – Bay 2 (up to 4 people), Coach 16 – Bay 3 (up to 4 people), Coach 16 – Bay 4 (up to 3 people), Wheelchair Accessible Space – Bay 4 (up to 2 wheelchairs + 2 ambulant passengers), Dog
Tickets are non-transferable and non-refundable. Except in the following circumstances – we are unable to operate the railway due to technical operational difficulties, extreme weather, or pandemic related restrictions.
Terms & Conditions
Terms and Conditions for ticket purchase for South Tynedale Railway
Revised May 2021
All persons riding on South Tynedale Railway (the “Railway”) and at all times whilst on our premises are subject to the following terms and conditions:
- Our booking service is offered as a service to you, the customer, by us, South Tynedale Railway Preservation Society registered charity number 514939, company number 01850832 a limited company registered in England and Wales (and also referred to as “we”, “our” or “South Tynedale Railway”), via our website
www.south-tynedale-railway.org.uk) (the “Website”)
- These Terms and Conditions set out the terms of our contract with you in relation to the supply of any ticket that you purchase using the Booking Service. If you do not agree with these terms, please do not use this booking service.
- You confirm that you are at least 18 years old and have authority to use the payment method or billing account details you provide for the purpose of settling any payments due from any purchase made through the Booking Service, or that you owe to us. You also confirm that all information supplied by you in using the Booking Service is accurate and that you will not make any speculative, false, or fraudulent reservation.
- It is your responsibility to inform us of any changes of address, contact phone number or email address. Our preferred method of contacting you is by email; it is your responsibility to provide a valid email address. Please note the contact phone number should be the number that our staff can contact you by on the day of your visit.
- Tickets should be purchased in advance through the booking service on the website. There may be tickets available to purchase on the day of travel but we cannot guarantee this.
- Tickets are only valid on the date, time and seat allocation shown. It is your responsibility to ensure you have been issued with the correct tickets.
- Tickets may be purchased online up until 1 hour before the train departs. Tickets may be available to purchase in person on the day of travel, but we cannot guarantee this.
- Tickets will be issued digitally, and you should have means of showing them during your visit when required to do so.
- Tickets are non-transferable and non-refundable. Except in the following circumstances – we are unable to operate the railway due to operational difficulties, extreme weather, or pandemic related restrictions including isolation of either ourselves or you the customer.
- You are required to arrive at your departure station (Alston) 15 minutes before your advertised departure. You are not required to check in at our booking offices but may be asked to show your ticket before boarding the train. You must travel in your allocated seats. Please ensure you are dressed appropriately for the changeable weather conditions in the North Pennies, please be aware that if you select an open sided coach you may not be able to transfer to an enclosed one.
- We recommend face coverings on the train, on the platforms and all inside café/retail areas unless eating or drinking.
- If you feel unwell or show symptoms related to Covid-19 please do not visit. You will be entitled to reschedule or refund your ticket.
- We will use all reasonable endeavours to ensure that all services operate as planned. However, we reserve the right, where appropriate, whether for safety reasons, or otherwise, and with or without prior notice, to substitute or cancel any service. Whilst we work hard to ensure that steam locomotives will be available on the days advertised, no refunds will be offered if a replacement diesel or electrically charged locomotive has to be used for any reason on the day of visiting the railway.
- Holders of gift vouchers must be booked in advance by telephone to enable tickets to be issued for your journey. They cannot be exchanged for cash alternatives.
- Special Event tickets can only be used on the day, time and seat allocation stated. Special Event Tickets are non-refundable except when the event cannot take place
- Dogs are permitted on all timetabled services and in the engineering workshop gallery. They are required to have a ticket for travel. Dogs must be kept on a short lead and under control.
- Bikes can be transported on the trains but at the Guard’s discretion.
- We shall not be liable to any passenger for any loss or damage which arises out of or in connection with or as a consequence of the operation or cancellation of any service provided, including but not limited to damage to or loss or property or items belonging to the passenger and any personal injury. Passengers should be aware that steam operated trains can emit hot soot and particles during operation.
- We only supply the Booking Service for private use. You agree not to use the service for any commercial or business purpose, and we have no liability to you for any loss or profit, loss of business, business interruption, or loss of business opportunity.
- Passengers must keep personnel belongings with them at all times. We accept no responsibly for the theft of any property or personnel item whilst travelling on our trains or on our premises.
- Clauses in these Terms and Conditions do not exclude or limit in any way our liability for:- a) death or personal injury caused by our negligence; or b) fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation; or c) any breath of the obligations implied by section 12 of the Sale of Good Act 1979 or section 2 of the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982; or d) losses for which it is prohibited by section 7 of the Consumer Protection Act 1987 to limit liability.
- Unnecessary noise (such as that from the use of radio sets, personnel stereos, including MP3 players and any other electrical equipment, or any behaviour likely to cause annoyance to other passengers, is not permitted on any service.
- Children under the age of 14 must be accompanied by an adult and remain under the supervision of an adult at all times. Children should be seated away from carriage doors and openings where possible.
- All passengers should keep all limbs inside the confines of the carriage. Leaning out or extending arms or legs outside the train during the journey is strictly forbidden and will result in removal from the train at the next available opportunity. Passengers on board carriages with droplight windows must not lean out of the windows or over the carriage side during the journey.
- Smoking (including e-cigarettes) is strictly prohibited on board the trains and on the platforms.
- Passengers must only board and alight when the train is at a designated stop and when instructed by us.
- Passengers must remain seated at all times during the journey.
- Whilst waiting for trains passengers should remain on the platforms at all times and only cross the railway tracks at designated crossing points.
- We reserve the right, without refund and, where appropriate, to refuse entry onto or remove from the train or platform any person who, in our opinion a)is likely to affect the safety or enjoyment of other passengers by their conduct; or b) has used threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour or in any way provokes or behaves in a manner which may provoke a breach of the peace; or c) is likely to endanger themselves, the train, the staff or any other passenger.
- All passengers must comply with all relevant statutes, current COVID 19 legislation as laid out by Government law, safety announcements, instructions given by our staff and the regulations in force at the time whilst travelling on the railway.
- Breach of any of these Terms and Conditions or any unacceptable behaviour likely to cause damage, nuisance or injury shall enable us to refuse to carry you as a passenger or will result in your removal from the train at the next available opportunity.
- We will only use the personal information you provide us to provide the service or to inform you about similar services which we can provide, unless you tell us you do not want to receive this information.
- These Terms and Conditions are governed by and shall be construed in accordance with English Law, and any claim brought under these conditions shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of English Law.